Sunday, April 29, 2018

The Hound of the Baskervilles: Review

This is an Illustrated Classics edition of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's The Hound of the Baskervilles. With such a famous story that I've read many times (most recently reviewed HERE), I'm not going to give a synopsis. This particular version deserves its own entry (and, incidentally, counts as a different book for Mount TBR) because it is a graphic novel version of the celebrated Holmes story. I first discovered Pendulum Press's illustrated editions of classic stories when I was in elementary school. I ordered up Dracula and Frankenstein (among others) from the Scholastic Book Club and thoroughly enjoyed these comic book styled editions of well-known books. But I don't remember Holmes being available to me--the publication date is 1977--and I'm quite sure if it had been I would have ordered it up as well.

The illustrations provided by E. R. Cruz are fantastic and make the Holmes story accessible to young readers. It is also quite delightful to read as an adult--particularly as an adult with a sense of nostalgia harking back to the other illustrated classics I have known and loved. I definitely recommend this edition for children interested in classic stories who may not be ready for lengthy texts without illustrations. I know that these editions greatly increased my interest in Dracula as well as Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde and Around the World in 80 Days★★★★


[Finished on 4/11/18]

No comments: